Followers

Click on photos to enlarge.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Winged Rose - Challenge Day at Digi Darla

Hello! 

It's time for another challenge over at Digi Darla's Challenges, and this week's theme is Challenge #58 - How Does Your Garden Grow, which requires flowers, trees or veggies in your card.  One winner will receive 5 Digi Darla images, and any entries using a DD image get entered into a SECOND drawing for 3 images, so you could conceivably win 8, yes, eight Digi Darla images!

If you use a Digi Darla image, make sure after you link up to add DD with your name so we won't miss you!  
 

My card today uses the Angel Wing Set 3 digi stamp.  I decided to do something different for this little notecard, hence the flying rose.  Why would a rose fly?  Well...I don't know, honestly, but I love it when wings are attached to objects.  Usually one sees hearts with wings, but I wanted to be different this time.  And since there's no sentiment, it can be used for any sort of girl card.

I printed the wings out on some lovely digi paper for a vintage feel and curled them a little bit to give them a bit more dimension.




The ribbon is hand dyed seam binding and the little embellishment in the middle is a bead cap with a pearl in the middle.  I've also used pearl string (or string pearls?) both behind the bow and around the inner edge of the oval base layer.


The tag was cut from more digi paper, and the little corner flourishes were die cut from crafter's foil, then pounded with a small hammer to flatten and distress them a bit.  "Pounded" is a bit strong, gently tapped is more like it.  They are paper, after all.  I embossed the top of the tag with gold ep.

The lace with ribbon running through it is an interesting piece.  I bought yards and yards of it at an antique store a couple of weeks ago from a lady who was selling her deceased mother's extensive supply of fabrics and trims, and I snagged several bags of wonderful old, hand crocheted laces, of which this was one.  There were probably 10 yds. of it in the bag, some of which I shared with my daughter.  It's gorgeous, and to think someone made it with their own hands.  I once tried crocheting with a metal hook.  Um...NOT.  It's big hooks for me.  I just don't have that kind of patience.  Or eyesight (anymore).

And that, dear readers, is my card for this week.  I hope you're inspired to check out the Digi Darla store, and while you're there, please check out the challenge as well to see what the rest of the lovely DT has created for you, and then play along!

Happy crafting!



Challenges entered:

Oozak #13 - Anything Goes w/Pearls, Lace, Ribbon
Simon Says...April Showers and/or Spring Flowers
Divas by Design - Flowers
Crafts & Me #128 - Lace and Pearls
Charisma Cardz Challenge #14 - Tags
Allsorts #202 - Letter of name ("S" for Shea and seam binding)
RCS#32 - Hollywood Noir (vintage theme)
Pile It On #15 - Embossing
Eclectic Ellapu - Put a Tag On It

24 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

Jaw dropping gorgeous! LOVE it!
MWAH!!

Sue said...

Oh my goodness, this is stunning Shea. I love the design with such gorgeous colours and wonderful detailing
hugs Sue xx

Migdalia said...

Wow!!GORGEOUS!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥

Misty's said...

Such a stunner, Shea. The elements you used are just amazing! xx

Andria said...

OMG totally in awe, this is beautiful, so much time and effort gone into it and the result is stunning.

Thank you for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this week and why not check out our DT call.

Andria - EE, Dt.

Lorraine A said...

stunning tag !! all the details are fabulous !! so pretty :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Unknown said...

Wow this is fantastic hun! Such a gorgeous shape and so many beautiful details! It's a work of art!
Hugs xx Cara xx

Anke said...

Great card. Thanks for joining us at Divas by Design
hugs Anke

sara said...

beautiful card thanks so much for joining us at Crafts and Me this week
hugs sara x x

cheiron said...

I love the flying rose! SO pretty...love the colors and all the fabulous detail too. Thanks for playing along with the April Showers/Spring Flowers challenge at the SImon Says Stamp Challenge Blog this week!

Kelly said...

Very elegant card. Beautifully done. Thank you for joining us at Divas by Design.
Hugs Kelly

LindaS said...

Beautiful flowers and bling. I especially love the added tag.

Unknown said...

Shea this is fabulous! Love the wings on the rose, just stunning. Great work!
~Deb~
CDAC DT Member
A Look Through My Eyes

Kristi said...

Wow Shea! This is sooo super gorgeous!! So striking!

Maureen Merritt said...

Shea, this is stunning! I love the rose with wings!

NickScrapShack said...

Wow Shea, this is amazing. I can´t stop looking at this peace of art. Love so many thinges about it, the glitter, the pearl ribbon, the layers, the gold.... Soft colours - it´s simply beautiful!

Nick

Decosse's Dynamite Doodles said...

Absolutely stunning Shea. One of my favourites of yours. I seem to be racking up quite a list of favourites. I didn't even realize it was a card until I read it. I thought you had created a piece that could hang on the wall. In fact it is still something I would hang on the wall if I were ever to receive something like this. Wow. An absolute work of art. So much detail and what a find at the antique store. That is really special.

Thanks so much for sharing your incredible talent with us.

Your devoted acolyte,
Lisa

Mummylade said...

simply stunning! Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts this week and good luck in the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Oh my this is so beautiful, Shea! A stunning card and I adore all those wonderful embellishments.
Amelia x

Donna Ellis said...

Lovely note card, Shea!

Kim M said...

This is gorgeous! love that ribbon and rose. Thanks for playing along with us at Red Carpet Studio.

Karen Wilson said...

Wow, I missed this on the DT blog - this is incredible! So pretty and creative!!! I love what you did with DD's wings!! GORGEOUS!

Samantha Casey said...

Beautiful!! I love all the embellishments, the string of pearls are especially my favorite! Amazing job! Thank you for joining us at the Oozak Challenge!

-Samantha

Heather said...

Shea~ This is GORGEOUS!! I love that you added the rose to the wings, and how you printed out the wings on some digital paper...this is the Perfect Vintage piece! I bet you that woman's mother was smiling down on you...knowing someone was buying her handmade crochet lace that would LOVE it! When ever I find great finds like this at yardsales...it is always someone's kiddo..selling their mum's stuff...and I like to think of myself as Rescuing it...glad to see you rescue goodies too!! OMGosh...my best friend has tried to teach me to crochet twice...and both times I have failed...due to the fact that I have to count, and keep track of that. I get going and forget and have to start over again! She told me that tomorrow..she will give me one more chance...LOL...anywhoo....I will let you know how it goes! If I could just do a chain...I would be good to go!!
Again..this is gorgeous...I think it could be my Favorite of yours :0)
Hugs.....I am putting a Heather Sticky note on this one!!